Page updated at 12:15:13 PM on Wednesday, April 24th, 2013
QUPOL - Quantum gases of ultracold polar molecules
Exploring long-range interaction in quantum matter via ultracold quantum gases of polar molecules.
The project aims at producing ultracold quantum gases of polar molecules, as a novel system to explore quantum matter with long range interaction. The idea is to apply all the ideas and methods developed for ultracold atomic gases to more complex particles interacting via long-range, anisotropic interactions. Quantum gases of polar molecules would allow to study novel kinds of matter waves, to solve open questions in modern condensed matter physics, to explore novel quantum phases.
Weakly bound heteronuclear dimers formed in ultracold mixtures of K and Rb atoms via magnetic Feshbach resonances can be coherently transferred to deeply-bound ro-vibrational states using coherent laser fields. The molecular electric dipoles can be manipulated via electric and microwave fields. The precise dynamical control of the shape and strength of the dipole-dipole potential will allow to engineer a variety of quantum states and to study many interdisciplinary phenomena.
Our main interest is in the exploration of lattice models with long range interaction, including low-dimensional effects and disorder.
Only publications with LENS-affiliated authors are listed.
- Sub-Doppler laser cooling of potassium atoms
- Landini, M Roy, S Carcagni, L Trypogeorgos, D Fattori, M Inguscio, M Modugno, G
- PHYSICAL REVIEW A
- Vol. 84, Issue: 4, pages: na-na, Article Number: 043432, OCT 28 2011, DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevA.84.043432
- Preprint freely available on arXiv: 1107.2337v1
- Observation of Subdiffusion in a Disordered Interacting System
- Lucioni, E Deissler, B Tanzi, L Roati, G Zaccanti, M Modugno, M Larcher, M Dalfovo, F Inguscio, M Modugno, G
- PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS
- Vol. 106, Issue: 23, pages: na-na, Article Number: 230403, JUN 8 2011, DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.106.230403
- Correlation function of weakly interacting bosons in a disordered lattice
- Deissler, B Lucioni, E Modugno, M Roati, G Tanzi, L Zaccanti, M Inguscio, M Modugno, G
- NEW JOURNAL OF PHYSICS
- Vol. 13, Issue: na, pages: na-na, Article Number: 023020, FEB 9 2011, DOI: 10.1088/1367-2630/13/2/023020
- Preprint freely available on arXiv: 1010.0853v1
- Delocalization of a disordered bosonic system by repulsive interactions
- Deissler, B Zaccanti, M Roati, G D'Errico, C Fattori, M Modugno, M Modugno, G Inguscio, M
- NATURE PHYSICS
- Vol. 6, Issue: 5, pages: 354-358, Article Number: na, MAY 2010, DOI: 10.1038/NPHYS1635
- Preprint freely available on arXiv: 0910.5062v2
- Observation of an Efimov spectrum in an atomic system
- Zaccanti, M Deissler, B D'Errico, C Fattori, M Jona-Lasinio, M Muller, S Roati, G Inguscio, M Modugno, G
- NATURE PHYSICS
- Vol. 5, Issue: 8, pages: 586-591, Article Number: na, AUG 2009, DOI: 10.1038/NPHYS1334
- Preprint freely available on arXiv: 0904.4453v1
Internal and Reserved Area
Elenco Siti Tematici